Thursday, September 4, 2008

Devil’s Advocate


Princess called to my attention the fact that the blogloren was in uproar.


The issue, an article in the Monitor newspaper, which was disrespectful of the blogloren. It had put them under the microscope. Found them, er, us, collectively wanting.


I was amused.


Lifted the article, put it here, with a few choice comments from yours truly. And thus invited some feedback. Very interesting feedback, and some enlightening insight.


I ‘hear’ that most Ugandan bloggers were not happy with the lack of respect. They felt short charged, un-understood. The flippancy of the article, the general tone of disappointment, the call to pull up their socks, collectively, one and all. A call to action, which was quite resented.


And I?


Amusement at every pore.


Eh, I am a Ugandan blogger. True. One of the fringe, radical elements of the Ugandan right or left? I am usually ignored by Ugandan bloggers. So, I ignore them back, in suitable, Ugandan like pique. After all I am Ugandan.


Is all the perceived anger because the writer of the article was actually spot on?


I do not read Ugandan bloggers, with the exception of a few. A very few.


When I first hit cyber, I was hot, and young. And livid with my anger at the whole world. They reacted like I had dropped some pupu in their midst. Sorry to intimate.


I realized that they had established a procedure.


One would write a post. And then the others would troop over, and aaaahhhhh, and eeeeehhhh, without exception. Dutifully, I also did the same. And then realized that I was not really welcome. They would not reciprocate.


In my pride I drew back.


Well, I am gay, and Ugandan. And the fact that they would barely notice my posts was at first galling. I needed some acceptance.


Few did. And I reciprocated.


Comrade 27th. Actually he tiptoed in. Curious, anxious. But he was brave enough to comment on my blog. Eh, the in-your-face homosexual blog that claimed Ugandan cyber ground. We did have some fun time. He allows he is not really gay friendly. I do allow that he is at least honest in his curiosity about me. And well, he was a reluctant admirer, though I never really understood what he admired. Apart from telling me that the girls admired my attempts at poetry.


Princess. Girl, I admire your spunk. You hit the blogosphere determined to learn, and your curiosity brought you to me. You questioned. I answered, or refused to answer, as the whim took me.


I do not read blogs, as I have said before. I just felt I had to read Princess, and 27th. I am no judge. But I think Princess can write. Though she is better in the dialogue with others, role playing. I think 27th can too. But he puts me to sleep with the soporific length of his posts. Iwaya? He used to be a favourite. Till I had to admit he was too cryptic for my poor head.


The others?


I know they read GayUganda. But they just do not comment. Ha ha ha! Cowards.


So, if I call you cowards, and it is true, is it wrong?


See, my long time in the wilderness has thickened my skin. Rhino hide at the moment.


Carlos, [pardon mum, are you the one of the famed boobs on the blog post?], she lashed out at my post here. Why all the gayness? Was her demand. Am I empty of anything else?


I laughed out loud.


Why deny it? I am the in your face gay Uganda. And well, if you do not want my gayness in your face, no one is forcing you to read my posts! I do not beg you to do it. And if you do it and you have a problem with them, well, come and say so. Ha ha ha.


See, my time in the wilderness has been of great use.


Dennis Mutanda. Oh, I remember the initial contacts. ‘bout a year ago, wasn’t it?


So, your praise and flattery, mixed with the spice of comment.


Sorry Dennis, but you remind me of someone.


I think he stumbled across my blog. For some reason he liked the poetry. And he decided that I was new at poetry, and needed a teacher. So, he elected himself. I declined. He tried flattery. He tried cajolery. He lost his temper, started bullying. I lost my temper too.


If my poetry is good, so what? If I want to develop it, well and good. If I don’t, so what? It is mine. It is my poetry, it is my story.


Sorry Dennis. Your praise on the ‘brilliant’ post, mixed with the carrot, ‘many things missing’ detract from something, something which you do have in common with Carlos. She wants me to drop my gayness. You want to give me a hand up, however obliquely, to make the brilliant posts better. At a cost of course. They will no longer be me.


So, lesson, to my dear Ugandan bloggers.


You were all so miffed and angry at the article in the Monitor because it happened to be spot on. You have forgotten the incredible freedom of cyber, and instead shackled yourselves with the need to impress. With your English. With your grasp of what you write. With how shocking you are. You forget that, as you master these things, you lose the essence of something more precious. The freedom of independence.


You mind the article because it was spot on. You are acting like a lot of hot air.


So, if I am wrong, sue me! I don’t mind being wrong! Sure, why should I mind? Time out and you have the chance to see how great the promise of cyber is. Freedom. With not a Ssempa to look over your shoulder and show you how to think. If a gay Ugandan is there, why fear him, or her? Engage them, and show them the wrongness of their ways. Instead of trying to recreate the narrowness of your thinking in Ugandan society in the blogosphere.


When I asked to become a contributor here, I was hesitant. I was told, sure, come and share, because you are part of the scene too.


Well, I am part of the scene. The whole of me. Attention bloggers, here comes the Devil’s Advocate.


GayUganda

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Carlo said...

Actually, I USED to read your blog. All the time. Until I got tired. Of no diversity. And let you be. So be you are. Why are you whining now? Amazing, I actually STILL read your blog. Ok, I'll stop. Even if I don't comment.

September 5, 2008 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Carlo said...

Wait, there's more. I read over 25 blogs a day. I comment on 5 max. What makes you think you're special? Yes, you do want to be special. You want us to acknowledge you and give you special status. You want us to say, 'hey, he's gay, he's a minority, he's being oppressed, so let's all hug him and comment on his blog.' We just live with each other. What's with the comments? I absolutely enjoy Wilde's blog. I'm a frequenter there. I just don't comment. But I enjoy it so very much. Why do you want us to pick you out and put you on a pedestal?

P.S. It's CARLO. I'd have thought you can read since you can write such beautiful poetry.

September 5, 2008 at 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GUG, i have read both your posts here and i have 2 questions for you:

1: why do you blog?

2: why do you read blogs?

September 5, 2008 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger gayuganda said...

Hi Carlo,

you are very welcome to comment, uh?

Sorry I mistook your name. Carlos instead of carlo. Sure, I did think I knew how to read. Maybe I do not.

The pedestal. Because I deserve the pedestal. [sniff]

Jasmine.
Why do I blog? An itch I have to scratch.

Why do I read blogs? Thought I made it quite clear I do not read blogs?

Anymore questions? I am the devil's advocate. Of all I wrote there, why are you concentrating on how I was miffed by not being read? Well, i was writing. And I dearly wished to be read. But that was then. Now, I do give a thought, like smoke on a windy day.
So, if reading me does not matter, why did I write the above post? Ball over to you carlo, Jasmine

September 5, 2008 at 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

more questions for you GUG:

3: what is that itch you need to scratch?

4: why don't you read blogs?

5: If reading you does not matter why did you write these 2 posts here?

September 5, 2008 at 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is this fool?

September 5, 2008 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger gayuganda said...

Hi jasmine,

love you already!!!!!

Want to use my trick against me?

Ok, here we go. But you also then have to answer a question from me.

1. The itch I want to scratch? I am embarrassed to say. Because I am shy...

Errrr, work it out.

2. Why dont i read blogs?
Actually, time. Too much to read, too little time.

3.If reading doesnt matter, why did I write the two posts?
Well, there is the itch to consider.
And then, there is the fact that I apparently agree with what the two posts say...

I dont have to read what I write, do I? That would put too much strain on my brain...

Ok.
One serious question. Which blog do you write?

gug

September 5, 2008 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger gayuganda said...

Hi Chanelno5

Me, I own up.

I am the fool. Satisfied?

September 5, 2008 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Baz said...

Gug, I would like to post an article on Kampalan. A response to your post above, on the subject "Why Issues Don't Sell". Please give me an email address I can send it to.

September 5, 2008 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger gayuganda said...

Hmmmmm!

[scratching my head!;

heavy, heavy, heavy indeed!

the famed buz, weighing in on the other side!!]

actually, I think it would be fantastic. But for a good debate, it would be better for you to post under your own name.

So, let us ask the 'moderator' or owner to give you posting credentials here, shouldnt we?

September 5, 2008 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger gayuganda said...

Hi Buz,

you will have to ask the one who loves 'ffenne' enough to name themselves by it. You should have the email, not so?

gug

September 6, 2008 at 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The devil's advocate? A very minor devil.

September 6, 2008 at 10:09 PM  
Blogger gayuganda said...

Well put, Lennox!

September 6, 2008 at 10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To use the words of Riley Freeman when he has nothing sensible to contribute to a debate/argument
" Nigga you're gay!!!!!!! "

September 7, 2008 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is it possible to actually get a handle on GUG's thought process? because reading the long tirade, I felt like there was a certainty with which he asserted himself but somewhere i sensed that in not trying to look for attention, he was actually looking for and generating it.
but the truly funny thing was 'I don't read blogs" ' I don't Ugandan blogs" because it kept coming to me, the he could have posted it on his blog and there, without attracting most of this attention, he could have said his piece.
but because he chose to write it up here, he also inadvertently, albeit unwisely, courted the brunt of his avid readers. and even readers who might have read his work before now find themselves having to: 1.abstain from the angry gay guy or 2.commenting blandly to appease the "minority fellow". Neither of which he is looking for. or is he?

September 10, 2008 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger gayuganda said...

Well put,nSpartakuss.

Why here? Well, how many Ugandans have read and commented on this one?
Want me to comment that they never err, grace me at the other blog? But I have already said that, havent I?

And, of course I do love to have my ego massaged. You know, there is this thing about telling the truth. It is always so outrageous that it is unbelievable!!

Ha ha ha.

I wanted attention. Of course I did. So, I went ahead and wrote this.

So, 'I dont read blogs' and 'I dont read Ugandan blogs'
Thats beautiful, isnt it? The repetition, playing on your mind, making sure that you got it. The masterly...

Oh well, I dont read blogs. That was because someone I minded once commented on my, er, tendency not to appear outside a tight circle.

And of course not to fall in the 'trap' the writer of the Monitor article did. He was accused of not having 'researched' the Ugandan blogosphere. He might have. I never did!!!

You want to get a hold of my thought processes?
You are very welcome. Since I have not yet figured myself out, it will be an interesting study!

September 10, 2008 at 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home