Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A Thought for Africa


Chains?

they’re on my body,

not my mind-

I’m free, where it matters.




©GuG

It’s the new year, 2008.

Beautiful outside. Dry weather, a bright sun promising heat in the day. Heat there is now, a nice, dry feel to the skin. The kind which would have me throw off my shirt and labour under the sun, skin glistening with glorious sweat running down my back, muscles rippling and dancing under my dark skin, swinging an axe, or hoe, pulling at stubble in a field, in the hope of rain far off in the future.

Africa. Beautiful Africa.

The new year has dawned as the old did. New and old are mixed, despair and hope.

Another African leader has betrayed his people. This time in Kenya.

Swindling a poll? Maybe he did not. But there is so much circumstantial evidence that he is guilty till proven otherwise. Like our president, he came in on a wave of promise, five years ago. Popular support, acclaim, for a new Kenya, a jewel in Africa’s crown.

Like our president, again, he has turned a horrible new leaf.

Chains? Yes, they are there. But we are free. As free as we will allow ourselves to be.

Sometime ago, I would wail and cry at what has happened in Kenya. The betrayal of trust. The mindless deaths. Unreasoned, unreasonable actions.

Yet I have to admit that I hold too closely to the values which are foreign to my culture. They are good values. But not enough of us hold them to make them African. They evolved in the thinking of years. In Africa, in Kenya, some steps forwards were taken, now we slide back.

Yet these chains are on our bodies. We are still free.

And it is that freedom that I am carrying on in the new year.

I do freely admit that I am stubborn enough to hold onto my convictions. I am an African. A Ugandan, living and working in Uganda. I will, and do, borrow and steal and take from all over the world. I will not be constrained by the trappings of culture. And I will not accept, as seems reasonable, that conventional, western thoughts are the norm. I will think, and reason, and argue, and say, that which my mind deems to be right.

That is freedom. That is freedom of the mind.

There are chains of poverty, of ill will, of greed, of corruption and despair all around me. Death seems a constant companion. Life’s cycles seem corrupted by pain and despair.

Yet I know, believe, that I am free. Because I am free.

Beautiful Africa. My beautiful world.

I know you are hurting, your children hurt, your earth raped, your forests naked and stolen and hurt. But thank you for the gift of life, and freedom of the mind that I celebrate of now, in this new year.

And thank you for a very beautiful morning, dawn, and weather promising a beautiful day today.


GayUganda

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am finding it funny when foreigners comment on our national politics. What Kibaki has done for our country is enormous obviously you might not appreciate that.

Raila the so called popular president has caused ruin to our country by inciting ethnic violence yet you are all "hero" him. I am ashamed by your bias. There is nothing wrong with Kenya just a few voices of discontent.

Now, trying to alienate the Kikuyu community which owns the transport, housing, agriculture and almost everything else CANNOT work. We fought for Mau Mau and also Second Liberation with blood and tears.

The Railas of this world want the Third Liberation because it is bloodless and the only effort was to make all other tribes hate KIKUYUs and which has failed MISERABLY.

ODM is not innocent. It rigged massively but still lost. They brought in that Dick Morris to make sure there was blood shed.

you know what EVERYONE is glad KIBAKI won but they can't say it because their lives are in danger.

if KIKUYUS were to retaliate we can Finish the LUOs in a split second but you know we have nothing to lose.

These buggers are lazy no wonder they want the leadership on a silver platter. We won't give them!!!

NOw they have nowhere to live and eat because they don't invest.

We want peace but first we want to teach them a small lesson.

January 7, 2008 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger gayuganda said...

Dear Proud Kibaki supporter.

What amazes me is the fact that you have such a huge log in your eye you forget to see the stick in my eye. How will you take the one out of my eye?

And I am an African. I am realy tired of the 'foreigner card' that we pull so easily. Yes, us Africans.

Are the people who are dying less African? Less Kenyan? Luo and Kikuyu? You are proudly Kikuyu, but then you ......

My apologies, Kibaki supporter.

I will needs hold my opinion, in the face of your own vehement ones. And I do deserve the right to judge according to my own values of course.

And I am an African.

January 7, 2008 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

a beautiful, hopeful post. may peace come to east africa, justly, and quickly.

January 7, 2008 at 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home